INDEPENDENT WEALTH ADVISOR
CUSTOM WEALTH MANAGEMENT: Each and every family is different. They have different objectives, tax situations, balance sheets, and entity structures. Optimizing both planning and investment results for each unique family requires building and managing customized wealth management solutions.
PLANNING AND PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT INTEGRATION: It is impossible to build customized investment solutions without a full understanding of a client's goals and objectives. Our deep experience in both financial planning and investing allow us to identify opportunities beyond your investment portfolio.
PORTFOLIO MANAGEMENT: Our focus on individual investors means that we evaluate investments based on their after-tax returns. Our team works to build diversified portfolios using a combination of low expense, tax efficient investments with a focus on passive investing and active management when the portfolio expense is justified by the potential risk adjusted returns.
RELATIONSHIPS: We aspire to build client relationships that will endure from generation to generation. Many of these clients come to us with their own attorney, accountants, and/or insurance professionals already engaged. Our mission is not to replace these other advisors. Rather it is to make sure that all of these advisors are working together as a coordinated team focusing on your objectives.
FEES: Our fees are based on assets under management and, if applicable, planning services. We accept no transaction-based compensation, thereby maintaining our independence and aligning our interests with yours. We are fiduciaries, with both a legal and an ethical obligation to act in the best interests of our clients.
CODE OF ETHICS:
- Objectivity - Put the clients' interests first
- Confidentiality - Respect the confidentiality of our client relationships
- Competence - Ongoing education but understand limitations
- Professionalism - Treat all others with respect
- Integrity - Adhere to the highest ethical standards in all aspects of our work
CARY STREET PARTNERS
Cary Street Partners is a leading independent financial services firm offering comprehensive wealth management services including investments, planning and financial advice. Cary Street Partners financial advisors serve individuals, families, and institutions with customized strategies tailored to fit each client's objectives.
Meet Our Team
DAVID J. COTTAM
FINANCIAL ADVISOR, MANAGING DIRECTOR
David Cottam provides financial services to clients in the areas of investments, wealth management, and financial planning with a commitment to objective, independent advice. He has more than 25 years in the financial services industry working with high-net-worth individuals, families, and companies developing custom financial advice that is tailored to the unique needs of each client.
- National Wealth Management, LLC, Founder and Principal, Chief Compliance Officer
- Morgan Stanley, First Vice President
- Merrill Lynch, Vice President
- West Virginia Wesleyan College, BS, Public Relations and Business Administration
CLIENT SERVICE ASSOCIATE
Cecilia Montanez specializes in delivering superior client service through troubleshooting problems and serving as a liaison between the financial advisor and client.
- National Wealth Management, LLC, Client Relations Administrator
- Prudential Financial, Financial Operations Professional
- Prudential Investments, Senior Investment Operations Associate
- Jennison Associates, Senior Financial Reviewer
- Middlesex College, Business Management
- Essex County College of Business
- Accredited Project Manager
- Certified Green Belt, International Six Sigma Institute